11 March 2023

Memory and Attention

 "I am not going so far as to say it was your fault. Strange things do happen to me these days. A couple of days ago I found a dirty wineglass in the refrigerator. And, just now, I turned to pick up the little tray that lies on top of the microwave and was surprised when the microwave door popped open. The mystery was very soon solved. Clearly, my right hand had taken the initiative when it failed to get timely instructions from the brain.

"One can neither remember, nor forget, what one was unconscious of in the first place.

"But it does seem to me that some human Customer Service operators regard a chat-exchange as ending when they stop reading the input. Whereas, for me, it is not ended until one or other party closes with words like  "Bye".       

"Robots may be better than humans in that regard."

No comments: